Angles, lighting, equipment, scripts…these are just a few of the many things you have to consider when trying to shoot a quality video. Of course, you can cut some corners and just use your iPhone to shoot a video. We have all seen videos shot on an iPhone go viral. However, in order to look professional and gain a large and consistent following on YouTube, high-quality video content is a must. So, what does it take to shoot a quality video?
Here are a few tips and tricks:
Step One: Prepare, prepare, prepare
- Purchase a quality camera. Shooting on your iPhone or Macbook works, but it’s much better to use an actual camera. Look here for a few good camera options.
- Find a location with good lighting that won’t cast shadows on what you are filming.
- Make sure your location doesn’t have a lot of distracting background noise.
- Create a storyboard or a script for your video. Before you start shooting, it’s important to have an idea of what you want to say beginning to end.
- Test the sound!
Step Two: Shoot your video
- You can shoot the video as many times as you need to, so don’t be nervous about making a mistake. You aren’t live!
- Make sure you shoot enough content, enough times. The more content you have the better. You’d rather cut things out then have to go back and shoot more content.
Step Three: Edit
- Edit your video so that mistakes are cut out and the video flows from start to finish.
- Add background music if it makes sense.
- It’s also a good idea to add things like a title screen, graphics, and end credits.
Step Four: Upload your video to YouTube
- Be strategic about your title, description and tags taking into consideration SEO.
- Choose a quality thumbnail image.
Step Five: Promote your video
- Post your video on your other social media platforms and encourage your friends and network to share the video.
Some other helpful tips:
- Tease the end of your video right at the start. (Example: Watch until the end to see some hilarious bloopers of me falling on my face!) Teasing the end will keep people watching, which is important. YouTube ranks videos that retain viewers higher in the search function.
- Tutorial videos that provide step-by-step instructions perform the best on YouTube.
- Provide a call to action – ask people at the end of your video to follow you on social media or to check out your website. Also ask viewers to like, share, subscribe or comment.
Creating quality video content is difficult and it takes time. But, just like anything in life, practice makes perfect!